Several years later, association members decided that they wanted to do more than keep alive memories of high school days. They decided to help outstanding graduates attend college. On June 20, 1903, they established the first high school alumni scholarship fund in Ohio. SHS graduates and friends were contacted to raise funds, and within four years the group had enough money to buy a $1,000 bond. The $60 interest generated by the bond was awarded as the first alumni scholarship to Walter French when he graduated in 1908.
For the first 16 years of the scholarship program, a single student was selected to receive a scholarship. The fourth alumni scholarship recipient was Charles E. Burchfield, who, after his graduation in 1911, attended the Cleveland Institute of Art. He is regarded as one of America's finest watercolor painters. In 1912 Esther Gearhart was the first female recipient of an SHSAA scholarship. (In fact, of those first 16 single recipients, 8 were female.) Two years later in 1914, Clement Charles Johnson was SHSAA's first Black scholarship recipient. Johnson was the first Black engineering graduate of Michigan Agricultural College (Michigan State University)and was honored by MSU when a scholarship/mentoring program was instituted in his name. Johnson has been recognized as one of America's first rocket-research engineers and its first Black automotive engineer. He worked for the Ford Motor Company in Detroit and knew Henry Ford personally.
Much of what is known about the association and Salem High School during the 20th century is due to the excellent recordkeeping of Laura Mae Hovermale Whinnery '30. For many years Mrs. Whinnery collected and carefully archived information about SHS classes, sports, extracurricular activities, and alumni. Many wonderful items—newspaper clippings, photographs, and memorabilia—preserved by Mrs. Whinnery were donated to the association and are now on display at the association's office at 330 East State Street.
In 2008, with the need for more space and easier accessibility becoming apparent, the association renovated and moved the office to the first floor of the building. Many alumni donated money, in-kind contributions, and time to the renovation of the 2,800-square-foot space that includes an office, display areas to showcase memorabilia, and a conference room that is available for class reunion planning meetings.
Because of the office building’s deteriorating façade and front foundation, the association embarked in 2019 on an important renovation project, one that would maintain the 150 year old building, address safety concerns, improve the display of memorabilia, and support Salem's historic downtown.
The “Building for the Future” campaign raised nearly $332,000 in donations from generous alumni and friends of alumni to allow this project to move forward.
The repairs and renovation, which were completed in January of 2020, remedied the safety concerns with the façade and the foundation. The renovation also changed the appearance of the front portion of the building. Removed were the separate second exterior door, the steep wooden stairway to the second floor, and the front portion of the second floor. Added were two-story windows facing State Street; an airy two-story lobby with banners, recognition boards, a Frame TV, and new furniture; an internal open staircase to the second floor; a meeting area on the second floor, along with tables and chairs donated by the Class of 1958; and a brightly lit exterior sign featuring Quaker Sam and Quaker Lady.
The SHSAA office provides a welcoming and safe environment where alumni can gather and where high school memorabilia can be seen and enjoyed. We invite you to visit.
With continued growth of the association, the decision was made to hire an executive director. The executive director is responsible for implementing board policies, ensuring the organization's compliance with government regulations, engaging with the public and SHS alumni, and overseeing the daily operations of the SHSAA office. In 2015 Lauren Arnold '05 was hired in a part-time capacity to act as the association's first executive director. Audrey Cleveland Null '76, hired in the fall of 2018, is the association's first full-time executive director. She is assisted by an office manager, who currently is Denise Chasar.